Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Stills: Powerlines and Landscapes

The need for power lines cutting through our landscapes is obvious by the fact that we are on-line creating these blogs. This weeks Sunday Stills Challenge found me driving just south of where I live to a series of power lines that feed most or all of the Greater Toronto (Canada) Area. My take on this was that I was to combine power lines and landscapes as one. These power lines become the landscape.

f/9.0 | 1/320s | ISO 400 | Focal Length 300mm
WB Sunny | Manual Exposure

Technical Jargon: I had to adjust the exposure a bit when I brought this onto the computer. I forgot to change the WB set from sunny, and there was a storm on the horizon so it was underexposed. I slid the Highlight from 255 up to 240 and brought the midtones up to 110 to bring up the neutrals.

When I got out of the car to take this, I first pulled back to 70mm to see what I got, but when I pulled in to the 300mm, I thought the web of power towers felt overwhelming.

Don't hold back, let me know what you think!

20 comments:

Dumitru Caruntu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Regular Guy said...

I actually like the shot, shows power and technology rising over the green. Definitely takes away from the landscape, it is the landscape.

thecrazysheeplady said...

That's an impressive collection of power lines. Are they really that piled on top of each other or does it appear that way due to the lens you used? Great composition!

Martha said...

This is wonderful! I think you captured it perfectly!

WildBlack said...

WoW! I like that! A landscape made of powerlines and power towers! Great thinking! :D

flowerweaver said...

Wow, very sculptural! I really like the shot! Reminds me of a Paul Klee painting with all the lines.

Ed said...

Nice shots, who is messing with your blog, your comments are getting through o.k.Later..Ed

The Wife said...

Ummm, that's a LOT of powerlines!

MariesImages said...

Now THAT is cool!

Jen Mo said...

Wow, on one hand I find it depressing to see so many powerlines, but you did a great job photographing them! They look like soldiers lined up for duty!

SighMan said...

You could pass this off as an advert for Terminator: Rise of the Pylons lol nice shot! The things we do to this landscape...

zulluzoe said...

my gosh!!! that's alot of power lines. great shot!

Patches said...

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it! That's a whole lotta powerlines! Great job capturing the mob!

CTG Ponies said...

Wow, that's a lot of powerlines! I imagine they hum quite a bit.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I haven't seen that many powerlines all in one place for years. It's overwhelming! And you captured it perfectly. Well done!

~Lisa

Country Girl said...

Wow, great shot. I also really like the one you did on eyes. We had a black lab for 16 years so they really hold a special place within.

dibear said...

Very interesting to say the least.

Stacey's Treasures said...

Wow, That is gob's of power!!!

b&g girl said...

i like it because you can take it for what it is, look at is as art and meaning.

kanishk said...

. Definitely takes away from the landscape, it is the landscape.
home jobs without registration