Thursday, April 2, 2009

Some Days


I've never taken a 'design' course. I haven't graduated from an Art College and don't have a bunch of fancy degrees behind my name like Professional Graphic Designer. I don't pull the wool over my clients' eyes so that I can charge big freak'n prices for some glorious image that when they end up getting it printed, hours need to be spent going through it and making it work properly for printing.

I keep wondering why it is that I seem to be the one who knows, most of the time, how to put files together properly for printing. I don't know how these people or companies seem to get farther ahead in life then me.

Is it that they are more confident in what they do? Better people skills? Sales skills? Or is it just that they actually believe they know it, or that the next person can deal with it. When it does get printed and look 'off', they question what happened. When they get pointed out how something should be supplied or laid-out, they just send it in the same way they always have, and you end up doing it all over again.

You wouldn't believe how many files I get from 'professionals' to print that have trim marks made up wrong, or not at all. Images with lazy-ass cover up picture frames rather then masking it properly. Spot colours with multiple tags for the same colour. Oh, and the old, I took 3 months to design it, what do you mean it will take 4 days to get printed!

Some days I wish my wife and I could just stay at home. She could do her passion of gardening, and I could take pictures, create and hang out with my dog. I wish I could take him around to hang out with others, but there it is again, I haven't been able to train him to greet any. He goes NUTS!

How is it that others find out what it is they are supposed to be doing and stay motivated? Guess I'll keep searching.

One thing I do know, my wife and I need more land and less house.

2 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Pete, both my hubby and I are photographers. I'm a teacher, but he is a graphic designer. His ALWAYS come out better than mine. He's spatial, I'm not. He's left brained, I'm not. He never picked up a camera until 37 years ago when I let him use my old Konica. Now, he's got at least 3 cameras! By the way, I have 5 horses myself, all rescues! Two from a feedlot, awaiting slaughter, my gelding, a PMU "unwanted" by product (the pmu mares were kept pregnant and their urine and hormones were used to make drugs for menopausal women) (I NEVER took any myself!) and 2 mustangs from Wyoming!

Andy said...

I completely sympathise with your frustrations over work supplied by many so-called professional designers. I've been a print buyer and hobby graphic designer for the best part of 8 years now and the quality of the "print ready" files these companies supply is laughable. The client should not have to pay repro charges to correct the sloppy work of designers. Or, more frequently, the printers should not have to absorb these cost because an agency, who are already being well paid, don't know how to produce a professional output file. Nice to hear someone is experienceing one of my favourite niggles.